When I talk with people from home they are always asking, "what is the weather like?". Last week the high made it up to 70 degrees, while this morning there is snow and ice on the ground. (on a side note, how does one have a garden that survives with that kind of confusion?).
Growing up in Oregon, the winter wonderland that would come with the occasional snow was nothing short of magical. Of course, it also brought it's challenges including impassible roads, closed schools, and the occasional power outage, but there was always so much excitement that the positives far outweighed the negatives. With Mt. Hood standing majestically on the horizon there was always the lure to winter sports!
In Baltimore, we still experience all the above mentioned negatives, but quite honestly I am struggling to see the positives. There are exponentially more "snow days" here, but yet the allure is gone.
Perhaps it is just that they have lost the excitement of being new and rare, but to someone who is struggling and fighting for some glimpse of routine and even freedom, the snow days are starting to feel more like a trap. Last week I started running again and I felt my spirits starting to lift however this morning they sink as my plans of an escape and some much needed exercise are shot. Furthermore, yesterday we stayed at the house because the kids were in horrible moods and this morning I feel like I am trapped again.
So for those of you planning a visit, might I recommend packing shorts and t-shirts along with your winter parka, hat, and gloves! I miss Oregon with it's far more predictable weather forecast ... rain.
My Dear Daughter! You are the most amazing writer, wife, mother, daughter and friend! It is so exciting to watch you grow into your new life roles and as always I am honored to be your Mom! You have always been my greatest teacher and that continues. I love you Amy Irene and I am thoroughly enjoying your blog, thank you for making the time in your busy, busy life.
ReplyDeleteI DID IT AMY!!!! ;-)))
ReplyDeleteOh my dear, I am sorry! I miss you so much. You will make it through the crazy winter, I promise! I need to plan my vacation. I was thinking early July. What do you think?
ReplyDelete